At Stow and Go Storage, we are all about providing you with quality mini-storage options and unbeatable customer service. That’s why we offer two state-of-the-art storage facilities in the Greenville, NC area. With two locations and a variety of unit sizes to choose from, you are sure to find mini-storage that meets your specific needs.
Did you know that at Stow and Go Storage in Greenville, NC, we offer both non-climate controlled units AND climate-controlled units? You might be asking yourself: what’s the difference between the two, and do I need one over the other? So, we are here to help answer all of your questions about the benefits of climate-controlled storage.
Climate-Controlled vs. Non-Climate Controlled
Climate-controlled storage differs from non-climate controlled storage in that it is temperature controlled to maintain a median temperature and humidity levels. Non-climate controlled units can get especially hot or cold with the temperature swings (much like a car sitting outside), and this can affect the things that you have stored inside, but you don’t have to worry about this if you have a climate-controlled unit. Depending upon the climate where you live as well as what items you plan to store, you may or may not need a climate controlled unit.
So, how do you know if you need a climate-controlled storage unit or not? It really depends on what types of things that you plan to store. For example, electronics and wooden furniture really should only be stored in a climate-controlled unit. Otherwise, they risk serious damage to the items. So, if you plan on storing anything like this, you should spend a little more and get a climate-controlled unit.
What Needs to Be Stored in Climate-Controlled Storage?
There are some items that really should be stored in a climate-controlled unit. Otherwise, they could get damaged by the extreme hot and cold that non-climate controlled units experience. Here are some items that need to be stored in climate-controlled units:
- Furniture- Extreme heat can warp wood furniture and can crack leather. So, you definitely want to keep these items in a climate-controlled unit.
- Electronics and Home Appliances- These items can be permanently damaged if you don’t store them in climate-controlled units. When storing these items, be sure to take out batteries beforehand.
- Photographs- The last thing you want is for your cherished photographs to be warped and ruined by the heat. Protect those special memories with climate-controlled storage.
- Collectibles- If you have a special collection of stamps, comic books, coins, or artwork, you especially want to make sure that you keep these valuable items safe and in good condition.
- Instruments- Musical instruments are especially sensitive to extreme temperatures, which can permanently and irreparably damage these precious items.
- Wine- You’ll ideally need a storage unit made especially for storing wine. Before doing so, make sure to research the best ways to store wine.
Other Reasons to Use Climate-Controlled Storage
- If you live in an area with high levels of humidity (we’re looking at you, North Carolina), it’s better to get a climate-controlled unit, as excessive humidity can bring additional moisture to your unit.
- Climate-controlled units make it more comfortable for you when you visit your storage unit. You don’t have to worry about the elements getting in your way while you’re trying to get something that you need.
- Climate-controlled units have better air quality since they have a continuous supply of air flowing in and out.
Store with Stow and Go
If you don’t plan on storing anything that’s sensitive to humidity or temperature swings, then you’re just fine with a non-climate controlled unit. Fortunately, we offer both, and we are happy to discuss your options with you so that you can pick the perfect storage unit for your needs. Just come to see us at one of our two Stow and Go Storage locations in the Greenville, NC area.